What Is Machine Translation?
Machine Translation (MT) is a computational linguistics sub-field that leverages artificial intelligence and machine learning techniques in translating text or speech from one language to another. Like speech data collection and voice data collection, machine translation is one of the critical applications of AI-powered language technologies. The fundamental premise is to automate the translation process and eliminate the need for human translators.
Note: We can broadly classify machine translation systems into six types: Rule-based Machine Translation (RBMT), Statistical Machine Translation (SMT), Neural Machine Translation (NMT), Syntax-based machine translation (SBMT), Hybrid machine translation (HMT), and Example-based machine translation (EBMT).
In 2021, the worldwide machine translation market size achieved a valuation of USD 812.6 million. Experts predict this rapidly growing sector will reach a significant market size of USD 4,069.5 million by 2030. Machine translation ushers many benefits that greatly enhance intercultural communication and global business operations. Some of the significant advantages include:
- Speed: MT can translate large volumes of text in a fraction of a human translator’s time.
- Cost-Efficient: MT comes at a fraction of the cost of traditional human translation without significantly compromising the quality, particularly regarding technical or straightforward texts.
Pro Tip: Invest in tools that understand your specific domain and use case, such as legal, technical, or medical translations. These tools will provide more accurate results, which means less time and money spent on post-editing.
- Scalability: MT systems can easily handle large-scale projects, making them ideal for businesses that need to translate vast amounts of data or documentation.
- Accessibility: With MT, translation services are accessible to a wider audience. Anyone with internet access can translate texts instantly, breaking language barriers effortlessly.
- Continuous Learning: Advanced MT systems leverage machine learning to improve translation accuracy continuously.